Thursday, April 15, 2010
Thrifty Thursday: Save Money on Your Water Bill!
Save money on your water bill and reduce your impact on the environment with these water-savings tips:
1) Use your dishwasher! It uses less water than hand washing your dishes! Also make sure to turn off the heat dry and dry dishes by hand. Don't Pre-rinse your dishes, let your dishwasher do all the work. And ONLY run the dishwasher when you have a Full load!
2) Install faucet aerator's.
3) Drink water out of the fridge! We use a Brita filter pitcher in the fridge, so that we can easily get cold, and refreshing water. This saves water because if you are going to tap to get water, then your probably letting the water run until it gets cold.
4) Don't use the disposal. Instead compost food waste, or throw it in the garbage.
5) Take a shower instead of a bath.
6) Switch to a low-flow shower shower head. It will save about 2.5 gallons of water per minute.
7) Take shorter showers. Set a timer, and aim for a 5 minute shower!
8) Check and repair any leaky faucets, toilet tank, ect.
9) Never Let the water run! Turn off the water while you brush your teeth or shave.
10) Replace your toilet flapper at least once a year, and try an adjustable one.
11) Convert your toilets to a low-flush. Put a jug of water into your toilet tank. Over a month, a family of 5 could save 350 gallons of water!
12) Only wash full loads of laundry.
13) Wear clothes more than once, to reduce the amount of laundry that you need to do.
14) Upgrade to an Energy Efficient washer. It uses less water and energy.
15) Install a tank less water heater, it only heats water when you need it, and uses less water.
16) Collect rain water to water your plants.
17) Let the kids play in a wading pool, instead of running through the water sprinkler.
18) Use mulch in your garden, to reduce evaporation, reducing the amount of time needed to water.
19) Use a broom to sweep the walkways, drive way (ect) instead of spraying it with water!
20) Take your car to the car wash. You will eliminate at least 100 gallons of water if you take the car to the car wash!
*How to save money on your electricity bill Here.
Do you have any tips to add to my list? Please leave a comment & share!
This post is linked to....
*Melissa's Bargain Blog
*Life as Mom
*Don't Forget to sign up for my Free email newsletter or RSS feed, so that you never miss any tips! Thank You for reading & subscribing!